Thursday, 30 October 2008
Rumi from Fashion Toast posted these pics yesterday of some boots she studded herself. They are AMAZING! I really want to DIY some boots myself but I always end up mucking it up or going too far...I never know when to stop!
I also love these by Felder Felder - but at £310 I think they might be a little out of my price range :) im such a peasant...
Source: Fahion Toast, Browns Fashion
Posted by Blood Roses at 13:23
Alex Chung and friends...think that's Tennessee Thomas with her in bottom two pics. Alexa's blouse in the first pic is from H&M - I bought it and it make me look like a podgy eighteenth century wench! I like Tennessee's dresses but those big (and most likely unnecessary) glasses kind of annoy me...
Source: The Fashion Spot
Posted by Blood Roses at 12:21
Wednesday, 29 October 2008
Ellen von Unwerth is one of my favourite photographers - I think she occupies the perfect space between the portrayal of female sexuality and innocence. There is something quite cheeky and candid about her nude images which I find comforting in contrast to the agressive styles of many other current fashion photographers who trade in the voyeuristic and the objectifiable.
I haven't ever seen these shots so thought i'd share them :)
Posted by Blood Roses at 12:18
Tuesday, 28 October 2008
Good lord above, I have been tagged by Alissa from Through the Looking Glass! So here goes...
Six random things about me
1. I have a degree in History fo Design
2. When I was little I wanted to be on Baywatch
3. I can play the bass and drums. but both fairly badly.
4. I have seven tattoos - hearts, an anchor, dice, ace of spades, some other cards and skull and crossbones
5. I love Alan Partridge! To an unhealthy extent. I had to stop watching it for a bit because I started to talk like Alan.
6. I used to work as a menswear fashion buyer
Six random things I like
2. Saturday mornings...for a whole year I missed out on most saturdays as I would go out on friday and stay up all night, but recently I have been enjoying the feeling of being alive on saturday mornings!
3. Learning languages. I am an ok french speaker and when I was at college I started learning Norweigan. Next Jan = Russian time!
4. MAYONNAISE! om nom nom I put it on everything. and balsamic vinegar!
5. Loungewear. I am just a skanky middle aged woman at heart, there's nothing I like more than hanging round my house in leggings and a big comfy jumper! Or even better - PJs!
6. Looking forward to parties.
Six random things I dislike
1. People who don't help those in need. I hate when people don't go to the aid of others when they need help because they are worried about getting involved and think it's someone else's job to help.
2. Black and red - there's something tacky and sugababes-esque about this colour combination! I'm talking black dress/red belt. Yuck!
3. My wobbly legs :(
4. Getting older. I will be 25 next year and I am scared...
5. Nuts...as I am allergic :)
6. When the buttons on your duvet aren't at the bottom of your bed...you know, when the duvet gets put round the wrong way and those buttons are in your face and not at your feet. Nooooo get those buttoms away from my face!
I am now going to tag Paperbag because she has such a gorgeous blog!
Posted by Blood Roses at 10:41
Monday, 27 October 2008
Friday, 24 October 2008
I kind of like Daisy Lowe..I know she has become tabloid fodder recently due to her love life/parentage but she doesn't look like she takes herself too seriously and she doesn't appear to stick to a safe formula when it comes to fashion, like some of her peers. She scrubs up nicely too!
Source: NY Mag
Posted by Blood Roses at 15:47
I love Corinne Day, ever since I was 17 and did my first photo project on her iconic Fifteen shoot for The Face I have been enamoured by her style and representation of grunge and punk subculture.
These shots are from 'Pretty in Punk' - Chinese Vogue September 2008. I often find that there is something quite tacky about grunge editorials...perhaps because of all the subcultures, grunge has always seemed to be the most aesthetically unconscious. But Day pulls it off every time due to her documentary approach to the theme...and in this case, some sharp styling :)
Source: The Fashion Spot
Posted by Blood Roses at 10:25
Thursday, 23 October 2008
Wednesday, 22 October 2008
Stockholm Street Style is both inspiring and depressing in equal proportions: inspiring in terms of these girls' personal styling and their beautiful clothes, and depressing in that they are so beautiful/tall/skinny/cool and I am jealous!
Posted by Blood Roses at 14:18
So it looks like i'm unintentionally having a bit of a Matt Irwin day today (and yesterday for that matter)! I wouldn't say i'm a huge fan of his - it just so happens he has shot a few recent editorials in which I have been a bigger fan of the styling than the photography. These shots from Russian Vogue Sept 2008 are styled by Simon Robins. How cool is Russian Vogue recently?!
Source: Fashion Spot
Posted by Blood Roses at 13:36
The amazing Knight Cat posted this Kate Moss pic on your blog a few weeks ago and I remember thinking how much I love this dress. I presumed that it was vintage/designer/out of my reach....but it's actually from her Topshop Christmas collection! I haven't been taken aback by any of her previous ranges, but this I can get on board with :)
At £120 it's pretty steep for Topshop (and I am sure it will sell out immediately and appear for triple the price on ebay). But then again it would be rude to not get myself a Chistmas present...wouldn't it? ;)
Source: Knight Cat
Posted by Blood Roses at 10:23
Tuesday, 21 October 2008
Its getting colder and as you may have gathered form my previous posts, my lust for a warm, furry coat (faux of course - don't chuck red paint over me please!) is getting stronger. Last week I was all about boots but ive kind of moved on since I bought a nice buckled black pair from ebay the other day.
Here are some scans (courtesy of tFS) of Natasa Vojnovic by Matt Irwin from Russian Vogie November 2008. The styling is so deliciously 'eighties riche'...
Posted by Blood Roses at 16:24
Monday, 20 October 2008
Recently I haven't seen too many new shots of Valentine Fillol-Cordier, which is a shame as I think she is stunning. Her style is quite delicate and girly, which isn't always my cup of tea, but I admire the fact that doesn't ever appear too affected by the style of her peers or seasonal fashion.
Source - Indie Loves Cake
Posted by Blood Roses at 14:51
Nicholas Kirkwood's shoes are more than just modern and architectural (these words always evokes a sterile, unsexy image in my mind). For me they are more the shoes I would imagine a femme fatale android to wear in a dystopian future society! Kirkwood has reached a perfect equilibrium between form and function.
Source: Jak & Jil
Posted by Blood Roses at 13:54